Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Kelsey Karpowicz: Never Give Up




With classmates, just before going into the museum

Today’s visit to the Holocaust Museum in Skokie was an unforgettable and eye-opening experience. I had always wanted to go to a Holocaust Museum at some point and never had the chance, so today was very special for me. I started showing interest in the Holocaust when I was 13 years old after watching the movie Freedom Writers. I became curious and wanted to understand why and how something so terrible could ever happen and be accepted. After watching dozens of documentaries and reading books such as Anne Frank’s The Diary of a Young Girl and Eyewitness Auschwitz, I felt consumed with sadness, anger, confusion, and more curiosity. I was so incredibly moved by the stories and facts that I wanted to learn as much as I could. Part of me feels that the reason why I am so interested in this particular event in history is because of my Polish ancestry. 

The museum exceeded my expectations. I appreciated how the visitors were able to learn about the politics and history prior to when the “Final Solution” was implemented so that we could better understand how it all unfolded. The photos, artifacts, and videos were so moving; it was all very overwhelming. I felt so honored to be in the presence of artifacts that were 83 years old because not only are items not made the same way as they were back then, but these items that were recovered were part of a person and defined him or her. When I was looking at the recovered items, specifically the shoes and the concentration camp uniform, I thought to myself, "This item is now a piece of history and the person to whom it belonged will always live on." In my opinion, each room in the museum had its own emotion. For example, I felt somewhat happy and content at the beginning while I was learning about the Jewish culture. Then as I moved along, each room seemed to become more dark, eerie, and disturbing. I felt happy once again in the last room when learning about the liberation of the camps.

Our visit with Magda Brown was the most special part of the trip to me. I had always wanted to be in the presence of a Holocaust survivor, and the fact that I sat right in front of her and was able to hug her and get a picture with her meant more than I can explain. I never thought I would have a chance to meet someone who lived and experienced the Holocaust first hand. Her spirit was so lively and energetic that you cannot help but smile. Her story is so important not only to educate others about the Holocaust and genocide, but to also show that even when you are completely broken down and you do not think there is a way out, you will prevail if you never give up. Her words of encouragement made me feel that I can do anything after listening to her story. I can’t wait to go back to this museum and I will never forget this day as long as I live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment